- Lack of attention to title tags or leaving title tags as automatically generated on important pages or having duplicate titles. The single most important thing you can do to improve Drupal SEO is improve page titles - Page Title module
- No quality backlinks. This will take a huge effort, back-links or inbound links from related sites, suppliers and clients will help bring traffic and build SEO. For goodness sake do not buy back-links.
- No XML Sitemap. Your site will be indexed heaps quicker if you have a XML sitemap. Install XML Sitemap module and sign up for webmaster accounts at: Google, Yahoo and Live. Then submit your sitemap.
- Broken markup. If your site doesn't validate you may be confusing the spiders. Test with the w3c Markup Validator
- Lack of frequent, unique content. - I'm guilty of this, make an effort to post weekly even if it's a short post. Make use of the Scheduler Module.
- Duplicate content: ie, example.com / www.example.com & path alias / node/NID. Install Global Redirect to fix this. Avoid re-posting content from other sites.
- Waiting too long to focus on SEO efforts. download the SEO Checklist module NOW!
Most of this is already covered in the SEO Checklist and been said before but this will reinforce what is important. 2 & 4 are general SEO topics but they do contribute greatly to your SEO efforts.
Submitted by Chris Herberte on Sun, 2009-12-13 06:49